Tuesday 15 January 2013

Books/Series that everyone should be forced to read.

This is something that I’ve been meaning to do for quite a while but never have. Until now. So here it is. My list of books/series that everyone should be forced to read, ranked in order of complete epicness.

 
1.       THE INFERNAL DEVICES by Cassandra Clare

 
Only the greatest series on the face of the earth. Written by one Cassandra Clare, it is simply beautiful. At least, William Herondale, one of its 3 main characters, is. (Yes, now you all know where he’s from. Now you should go and read it to find out what the fuss is about.) This series has nowhere near the amount of recognition that it should. Brilliantly written, with amazing characters, wonderful jokes, and an awesome main storyline. Gaze upon the words written on the back cover:
When sixteen-year-old Tessa Gray arrives in England during the reign of Queen Victoria, something terrifying Is waiting for her in London’s Downworld, where vampires, warlocks and other supernatural folk stalk the gaslit streets. Friendless and hunted, Tessa seeks refuge with the Shadowhunters, a band of warriors dedicated to ridding the world of demons. Drawn ever deeper into their world, she finds herself fascinated by – and torn between – two best friends and quickly realizes that love may be the most dangerous magic of all.
Yes, I know the last line there makes it sound all romantic and lovey-dovey, and there is some romantic angst, but mostly she’s just busy trying not to get killed in a multitude of different ways. It’s good, trust me.

 
2.       THE HUNGER  GAMES by Suzanne Collins

 
Yes, most of you are probably already aware of ‘the Hunger Games Phenomenon’ and may have even read the books, but for those of you who haven’t, DO IT. The first book is even better than the movie (by far) and the second and third are also incredibly amazing. Admittedly, I did almost kill myself at the end of the third book, because I was totally not happy with a bunch of the characters dying, but if it had been written any other way I probably would have been all *pfft* like hell it ended up that happily.
In a dark vision of the near future, a terrifying reality TV show is taking place. Twelve boys and twelve girls are forced to appear in a live event called the Hunger Games. There is only one rule: kill or be killed. When sixteen-year-old Katniss Everdeen steps forward to take her sister’s place in the games, she sees it as a death sentence. But Katniss has been close to death before. For her, survival is second nature.
So yeah, basically just your average book about teenagers killing each other. It’s amazing, if somewhat disturbed.

 
3.       THE FAULT IN OUR STARS by John Green

When I read this, I cried. Yes, really. I stayed strong through a multitude of deaths in the Hunger Games, I stayed strong when Tessa picked the wrong boy in The Infernal Devices.
But in this book, I cried.
And cried, and cried, and cried and cried.
And whenever I read it I cry again.
And then I told Ruby about it and she read it and she cried. (But she cried in Shrek when Shrek thought Fiona loved someone else so yeah.)
But I also laughed hysterically because it is very funny. And I love all the characters and basically I just love love love everything about this book.
Despite the tumour-shrinking medical miracle that has bought her a few years, Hazel has never been anything but terminal, her final chapter inscribed upon diagnosis. But when a gorgeous plot twist named Augustus Waters suddenly appears at Cancer Kid Support Group, Hazel's story is about to be completely rewritten.
Basically, you should read it. So you can cry too.

 
4.       PERCY JACKSON by Rick Riordan

 
This movie was terrible. Just putting it out there to start off with. Technically, it was an okay movie, but in comparison to the books, it epic failed. Basically because they completely destroyed the storyline. And now they’re making another one. What is the world coming too? At least with Eragon, they had the decency to let it drop once they realised the first movie they’d made had failcaked.
But no. They’ve dug Percy Jackson’s grave, and now they’re dancing on it.
Is there no respect?
But back on topic, I actually prefer the Heroes of Olympus (the second series) to the original Percy Jackson series, but you kind of need to read them in order.  So yeah.
Look, I didn’t want to be a half-blood. I never asked to be the son of a Greek God.
I was just a normal guy, going to school, playing basketball, skateboarding. The usual. Until I vaporized my maths teacher. That’s when things really started going wrong. Now I spend my time fighting with swords, battling monster with my friends, and generally trying to stay alive.
This is the one where Zeus, God of the Sky, thinks I’ve stolen his lightning bolt – and making Zeus angry is a very bad idea.
Funnily enough, I don’t remember him ever skateboarding. Or playing basketball. But meh.
Just take a look at some of the chapter names, to sense it’s awesomeness. ‘Three Old Ladies Knit the Socks of Death’, ‘A God Buys Us Cheeseburgers’, and the ever classic ‘I Plunge to My Death.’

 
5.       DIVERGENT by Veronica Roth

 
I swear, this is going to be the Next Big Thing. Seriously. They’re making a movie of it, and it’s going to go completely viral. It’s pretty epic (as it must be to make it’s way onto this list) and the main character is probably more ‘normal people relatable’ than Katniss and her mental issues.  And yes, this is another futuristic novel (I liyek dem)
One choice decides your friends, defines your beliefs and determines you loyalties … forever.
When sixteen-year-old Tris makes her choice, she cannot forsee how drastically her life will change. Or that the perfect society in which she lives is about to unfold into a Dystopian world of electrifying decisions, stunning consequences, heartbreaking betrayals and unexpected romance.
Once choice can transform you.
Yaah it’s cool. (though I have noticed everyone seems to be sixteen-year-old. Coincidence? I think not.)

 
And yes, I know, Harry Potter did not make it onto this list. It would be next, along with The Mortal Instruments and the Inheritance Cycle. But I do not have all day (I do really – the benefits of having no social life) and Harry’s anger management issues deter me somewhat. So this is the end of the list.

 
Look out for Movies that everyone should be forced to watch, and Youtubers that everyone should be aware of, probably coming soon(ish).

No comments:

Post a Comment